- Contractor: NCC (Nordic Construction Company)
- Structural Engineering: Ramboll Norge AS
Public space is today, beyond form, location and urban rhetoric, the space of interaction. MySpace Building unifies both situations of extreme intimacy and privacy, with those of extroversion and collaboration:
1. Pocketworld: Everyone’s room acts as a powerful mechanism that allows the expansion of our identity, self-recognition and reaffirmation, and ultimately of interchange and negotiation with others. One’s own room, is a test field, where is possible to try out and practice the abilities that later will be experienced in every act of social interaction.
2. Chatrooms: Virtual chatrooms are one of the most effective public spaces in the context of global societies whose community-building depend growingly of the search of common affinities, and not of physical proximity of urban squares. Chat rooms are also the places where avatars meet, places to freely and temporarily transform and literally wear alternative identities, a kind of accelerator of identity. We imagine a spatial device connecting and integrating subjective interests and identities of many of people of multiple backgrounds.
3. Space Colony: The common experience of metropolitan environments turns outdoors living growingly equivalent to indoor. We live immersed in a continuous atmosphere, constantly modified and re-built by ourselves. Let’s think of an interior that assumes the qualities and conditions of the paradigmatic public space, the street: a place genuinely fond of improvisation, exchange, free interaction. MySpace building seeks such conditions within its common spaces, a mixing chamber of different propensities in order to open multiple situations of interaction.
MySpace community is built through exchanges, in a similar way as the building does. Residents can link to each other by real or virtual means. A resident's personal profile manages the front of each room: personal data (name, nickname, e-mail, age, residence seniority…) offered by the inhabitants and thus susceptible of being made up like in avatars is combined with other data given by the residence managers, as an effective way of broadcasting parameters (water and electricity consumption, waste or energy production...) that can improve community awareness and commitment with responsible practices and social sustainability.